Choosing a domain name is perhaps one of the more difficult tasks in building a website. A good domain name will get us noticed and will be easy to remember. You want to be noticed by people (your customers who come to the website), but also by the bots (sent out by the major search engines to index your site).
Begin by thinking of the main product you are selling or the main idea you might want to communicate. In this regard, you might want to ask yourself what you would type in to a search engine to find your site. If you are a wedding photographer, for example, someone might type in “wedding photographer” into the search engine query box to look for wedding photographers. So a good domain name might be weddingphotos.com or weddingphotograper.com. These domain are no doubt already taken, so you might want to add something else to distinguish yourself from other wedding photographers across the country. For example, you might want to call your domain name weddingphotosgrapheroyourcity.com. That might be a great domain for the search engine bots. However, real people might find the name boring, perhaps not even clicking on your site, but instead moving to the next site on the list.
Listed below and things to consider when choosing a domain name.
- Make the domain name to be as short as possible. Short names are easier to remember.
- Put your key words (what you would type in to a search engine to find your site) as close to the front of the name as possible. In the example above, consider beginning your domain name with “wedding” or “photographer”.
- Your name should make sense to the reader (customer). In this regard, “photoswedding.com” might not be the best name because it is not the order someone might expect. It looks suspect and might be avoided by people looking for a legitimate wedding photographer.
- Choose a relevant name. Your name needs to assure customers that you are a the wedding photographer they are looking for. A domain name like “charlie’s.com” might not communicate that you are a wedding photographer.
- Choose an interesting name. Choose a name that will draw the customers in to your store or website.